21.5.05

Love letter

Dearest Father,

It is strange to write a love letter to Someone you’ve already known intimately for such a long time. Maybe it is inappropriate or – at least – a bit unusual to do such a thing.

In some weird way I’ve grown into loving You more and more and it may look as if it is totally unnecessary to tell You how I feel. Especially after all that we’ve experienced together all these years. But today, I must do it. I have to share my deepest feelings for You and I don’t care what anybody else thinks about that. I am in love, You see…

First of all, I often feel very uncomfortable and out of balance because of You. I know You love me whatever I do or say, but how can I do something in return for what You’ve done for me? It feels like going to the love of your life without buying a nice present first. It also feels like being a vulnerable child all over again – like a kid that has made a nice colourful drawing or a sweet little poem – in a very childish way, of course. ‘Look, father, this one is for you. I hope you like it!’

To be honest, I also feel uneasy in your presence because we are not the perfect match at all. That is, You are just too perfect to be true and I feel so inadequate, so insignificant. I’ve been unfaithful and I’ve disappointed You again and again and again. And You’ve never let me down once!

Why do You still want to be associated with me? Why on earth (or in heaven, in your case) do You still like me? How could You be proud of me? You must be in love as well – that’s the only sensible explanation.

If somebody is overhearing our conversation – so be it. I am not ashamed of us at all. I don’t care if they all think that I am completely out of this world, because I am – and so are You! You are the sweetest, the nicest, the loveliest, the greatest and the best Daddy I could ever imagine. There, now I’ve said it!

I will sing for You – even if it only sounds sweet in your ears. I will dance for You – even if I make a complete fool of myself and even if it is not a pretty sight for the rest of us down here. I will never stop loving You. Never! Even if everybody else envies or even dislikes me because of that. I can’t help myself. I can’t choose not to love You. I have to answer your kindness. I have to give some sort of a reply to your little and huge signs of affection.

And I just can’t keep this eternal love affair to myself. I want to share your love with as many people as I possibly can. I am not afraid that I will get less attention from You because of that. You are not that kind of a Father. I want to share You with my family and with my dearest friends. But I also want to share You with all these wandering people who still feel unwanted and unloved. What do they know? I know You care about them much more than I do and I must tell them exactly that.

I hope I am not embarrassing You with this silly love letter, Father. Well, you know how men are. We have a problem when it comes to opening up our hearts and sharing our deepest emotions. Although, I guess that is not a true statement about You at all – I am only referring to my own shortcomings, of course.

When I was completely lost, You came to my rescue. When there was no escape left at all, You didn’t hesitate but You stepped down to save me. You showed up just in time to get me out of trouble for ever. You took the blows that I deserved. You gave your only Son for me, an unfaithful human being. What a strange thing to do! How could You? What does that say about You and what does it say about me?

When I receive a beautiful present from someone I usually say: 'you shouldn’t have done that'. But in this case, that would be such a stupid and ungrateful thing to say. I am not pleasantly surprised by your kindness, I am shocked. You gave yourself away. WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!

You must be madly in love. And so am I.
It's just that You know.

Yours truthfully

Paul

Hey, all you human beings out there! If you've enjoyed reading my silly love letter, you will certainly like reading (t)His!

3 comments:

Bob Spencer said...

This is awesome, Paul. I wrote about it over at my own blog. You're doing fine work here (and your English is excellent, by the way).

Brad Huston said...

Paul,

This is wonderful. Thank you for pouring out your heart, as it was a great encouragment to me today.

Brad

Paul said...

Dear Bob / Dear Brad

Thank you for your kind replies!
May the Lord bless both of you.

When We Practice Real Love
My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're living truly, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.
We're able to stretch our hands out and receive what we asked for because we're doing what he said, doing what pleases him. Again, this is God's command: to believe in his personally named Son, Jesus Christ. He told us to love each other, in line with the original command. As we keep his commands, we live deeply and surely in him, and he lives in us. And this is how we experience his deep and abiding presence in us: by the Spirit he gave us.
1 John 3:18-24 The Message

Blessings from your brother in the Netherlands :-)
Paul