27.5.05

Children are so vulnerable

Today - like any other normal Friday - I went to school to take our youngest daughter Pascalle (almost 8) safely back home. I work at home each Friday, so I always have to make sure that I go to school in time (you know what it is when you are working with a computer, you often tend to forget the time...). I've been a bit late some times, but it is just a 5 minutes walk to school and I will always make sure that I am at the right place at the right time. Pascalle counts on me and I am always looking forward to seeing her again because she is my little sunshine.

Standing in the sun in the school yard, waiting for my girl to come out of the school building, I thought: I need to take a picture of her next time. Imagine this... me standing on the same spot as always, waiting for my youngest daughter who is most of the time smiling and never in a hurry. She usually has things to collect, girl friends to talk to and all kind of other girly things that really need to be done and that are just too complicated for a waiting father to understand. But it is always a pleasure to see her.

Today she walked to me in her red flower dress, with another beautiful drawing in her hand, a pink bag filled with clothes and shoes from the gym and some other things she always takes with her on a Friday. 'We also had a letter', she said. 'It is about a 10 year old boy that has died. He is the son of meester Cor and he died in his bedroom. Sosha [Our eldest daughter and Pascalle's 11 year old 'big' sister] will give the letter to you...'

I don't know what to say. I've read the letter by now. It was just a freak accident and it is too tragic to be true. But it is true and it did happen. Next week a father has to burry his 10 year old son. What can I say? Please pray with me for this family.

I know the Father is waiting, but this is so heartbreaking!

No comments: