9.5.05

Delirious and double Dutch


Martin Smith (Delirious?) © Photo: Brian Elings (published here with kind permission)

Following a nice family holiday, we had a great time together last Saturday. Pascalle (7) stayed with her Opa and Oma (= Granddad and Grandmum in Dutch) - so she had a great time as well - and the rest of us went to a Delirious? gig in Barneveld. It is so nice to go to a rock concert with your kids - as long as they don't mind to be seen there together with their parents...

Several years ago I was standing right behind a father and his son who were clearly enjoying an Eric Clapton concert at the Feyenoord stadium in Rotterdam. I remember how they looked at each other during each intro and how they shared their enthusiasm for Mr Slowhand's music. Back then I could only dream that there would come a day that I could also share my love of music with my own kids. Back in the old days parents and kids hated each other's music, but in this postmodern age you can bridge the generation gap with music - at least, in our case we still seem to be able to do that. Maybe in a couple of years we will hate each other's taste in music, because that is of course how it ought to be between parents and teenagers ;-)

Anyway, Robin (13) and Sosha (11) enjoyed the music just as much as we did. Delirious? played a couple of their well-known 'older' songs and several tracks from their latest release 'World Service'. I think they were absolutely fantastic and I've enjoyed every single minute of their performance.


!Kboemm © Photo: Brian Elings (published here with kind permission)


Kees Kraayenoord © Photo: Brian Elings (published here with kind permission)

We also quite liked the support acts - both Dutch bands featuring some members from De Meerkerk (the Baptist church we attend in our home town Hoofddorp): Kboemm and Kees Kraayenoord & band. Kboemm is a new band - singing in Dutch - and I think they had quite a challenge on their hands (being the opening act for Delirious? - I mean). I bought their cd Zoon a couple of weeks ago and I think that it is a good sign that new Christian bands are emerging in our language area.

Especially Kees Kraayenoord made a huge impression. His lyrics are in English, so if you are interested in contemporary gospel music from the Netherlands, check out his website where you can also listen to some audio samples from his latest CD Broken. If you like Mat Redman (Heart of Worship) and Tim Hughes (Here I Am To Worship), you might be in for a Dutch treat... I think Kees Kraayenoord's music is just as good. Okay, I may be slightly biassed. Check it out for yourselves!

May 16, 2005
Update: read a concert review here (only in Dutch - I'm sorry) and look at the fantastic pictures here - visible in all languages ;-) Photos Brian Elings & United Live © 2005

No comments: