16.7.05

Unos, dos, tres…catorce!


Hello, hello! Well... I've got some catching up to do! This was a super week... Last Wednesday I was one of the lucky 50,000 screaming, singing and dancing U2 fans in the Amsterdam Arena - home to the best football club in the world (Ajax, of course). A great venue to watch a football match, but not the best place in this little country for a rock concert... But hey, who cares?? It was the best gig ever and we all had a great time!!

‘Ik houd van Holland’ - I love Holland - Bono told the excited audience in the Amsterdam Arena - and no doubt Holland loves U2 just as much. Of course all artists try to give you the impression that they have ‘a special connection’ with the country or the city where they perform (Hello... uhm... Where are we? In Holland? Okay, Hello Copenhagen, we love you!) - but I believe Bono was not kissing up.
U2's international breakthrough started in the Netherlands with their very fist #1 hit ‘I will follow’ and they also played at the PinkPop festival in 1981 - as a relatively unknown band from Ireland. Imagine that! So Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn is just one of the Dutch U2 connections.
I am not a fanatic fan - just someone who happens to love U2's music and I also admire Paul Hewson (Bono's real name) as a person (but he is NOT my idol, bucause I don't have any idols!)
I will write a bit more later - there are too many things for me to do right now.



‘We want to say so much tonight,’ explains Bono, almost lost for words at times. ‘Most of all we want to thank you for giving us a great life.’ The Netherlands, he continues, is a ‘place that still plays us on the radio, still wants to see us in your football stadiums’ a place that still sees U2 as ‘about the present.’ source

Set list Wednesday July 13, 2005 - Amsterdam Arena
Vertigo / I Will Follow / Electric Co. / Elevation / New Year's Day / Beautiful Day / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / All I Want Is You / City of Blinding Lights / Miracle Drug / Sometimes you Can't Make It On Your Own / Love and Peace / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bullet The Blue Sky / Running To Stand Still / Pride (In The Name of Love) / Where The Streets Have No Name / One / Zoo Station / The Fly / With Or Without You / All Because of You / Yahweh / Vertigo

No comments: