16.7.05

Agree to disagree


Bono showed this message to the U2 fans in the Amsterdam Arena last Wednesday (see my former posting). I agree that we need to respect people, whatever their religious convictions or political ideas. This doesn't mean that we have to believe that all religions and political ideas are equaly true. I do claim the right to have a religious conviction - it's not just a hobby or a vague idea to live by.

We need to defend religious and political freedom and I also think that we should be kind to each other. But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with everybody - nor does it mean that I always have to be 'tolerant' (tolerance seems to be the highest standard to live by these days, but I prefer to live by LOVE - and although love is very accepting and forgiving, it can also be very strict and demanding). Please correct me if I'm wrong... because that is a loving thing to do! And if you can't convince me, let's just agree to disagree and let's live in peaceful coexistence together.

Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.
Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. 1 Peter 3:8-12 NIV

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There aint no good guys,
There aint no bad guys,
There's only you and me and, We just disagree." Dave Mason

A very cool song, and a very cool meaning.

Paul said...

Thanks for the comment, Anonymous!
I do like these lyrics (don't know the song, but I did some googling and the complete lyrics are included in this comment). I will also add the lyrics of a U2 song wich is very appropriate too: Love of Peace or Else
Cheers
Paul

Dave Mason- We Just Disagree
Been away
Haven't seen you in a while
How've you been?
Have you changed your style and do you think
That we've grown up differently?
Don't seem the same
Seems you've lost your feel for me

So let's leave it alone
'Cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy
There ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Ooh...hoo
Oh, oh, whoa

I'm going back to a place that's far away
How bout you?
Have you got a place to stay?
Why should I care?
When I'm just trying to get along
We were friends
But now it's the end of our love song...

So let's leave it alone
'Cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy
There ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Ooh...hoo
Oh, oh, whoa

So let's leave it alone
'Cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy
There ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Ooh...hoo
Oh, oh, whoa

U2- Love of Peace or Else
Lay down
Lay down
Lay your sweet lovely on the ground
Lay your love on the track
We're gonna break the monster's back
Yes we are...
Lay down your treasure
Lay it down now brother
You don't have time
For a jealous lover

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I don't know if I can take it
I'm not easy on my knees
Here's my heart you can break it

I need some release, release, release

We need
Love and peace
Love and peace

Lay down
Lay down your guns
All your daughters of Zion
All your Abraham sons

I don't know if I can make it
I'm not easy on my knees
Here's my heart and you can break it
I need some release, release, release

We need
Love and peace
Love and peace

Baby don't fight
We can talk this thing through
It's not a big problem
It's just me and you
You can call or I'll phone
The TV is still on
But the sound is turned down
And the troops on the ground
Are about to dig in

And I wonder where is the love?
Where is the love?
Where is the love?
Where is the love?
Love and peace

Anonymous said...

Nice post!

I copied it, tweaked it, translated it and putted it on my site!

Paul said...

Thanx, Supergans!

TheTraveler said...

My religious conviction is mine.

I may share it with others if it's appropriate and if they want to know, but love is strict and demanding for me, not for 'others.' If there's a context of relationship, then the demands of love come into play.
For others, my love must be open, forgiving and understanding.

I'm happy to tell those who are interested what my convictions are but unless they say they live by the same convictions I can't really judge them or their lifestyles. Even in church I don't like to do this. While I'm not afraid to identify wrongdoing I do prefer to let the Spirit convict others. I think we're meant to support eachother, not be watchdogs or come together in our little huddles endlessly comparing convictions.

And this tolerance business is a load of ******** to me. Tolerating someone is discriminating them while smiling to the cameras. It's shallow and stupid. We tolerate the evils we cannot do anything about. We tolerate pain as long as we can bear it.
But when it coms to society and relationships Jesus never preached tolerance, He preached acceptance. That is something that our selfrighteous, egotistical and religion haunted dutch culture is incapable of.

Paul said...

Thank you for your comment! I think that it is difficult to distinguish between the meanings of the words tolerance and acceptance - but I guess I get your point. By recognizing that we are living in a broken world and allowing people to be who they are without judging them according to our personal convictions we are not condoning sin. I agree that only the Holy Spirit of God is able to reveal the truth and convince people of the fact that they have to be born from above. I do pray that God helps us to fearlessly speak the truth to hypocrites, but to be friendly, loving, humble and forgiving to sinners like ourselves who just can't help themselves. God is our Judge, Jesus is our Saviour, the Holy Spirit is our Advocate!

TheTraveler said...

Good grief! I had to read that a couple of times to get it. Talk english, man! ;)

Paul said...

My goodness gracious me, I thought that I was doing exactly that, my dear ol' chap. Never mind, as long as you get my point! (And next time I will try to write normal again, ha, ha).