4.10.05

Women Pastors?

I've just read an interesting post from The Broken Messenger about Women Pastors... You can go to Brad's site to read this entry by clicking here. I did leave a comment and - because I would like to hear more opinions from other parts of the globe (especially from members from different church denominations, all belonging to the worldwide Body of Christ!) I've posted this comment here as well. Please feel free to let me know what you think about this subject. In English, German or Dutch, please... :-)
Given my upbringing and the culture with which I was raised, I have to admit that I am uncomfortable when reading the Scriptures concerning the roles of women and leadership in the church. I suppose much of it is the product of our politically correct culture too. I have always tried to be generally unoffensive whenever possible, but I have learned that comfort does not automatically equal truth. So the greatest discomfort on this issue comes when I am forced to admit that writings of the New Testament are clear that a woman should not be a pastor or elder within the church... continue
Hi Brad,

This is a difficult issue. I come from an Evangelical church tradition and in our churches there are no women in 'official' leading positions. I've read once that many revivals start with praying women - and I am sure that the Father listens carefully to His daughters. I do feel that there are many cultural aspects in this discussion. Jesus didn't come to put an end to slavery and He didn't fight the Romans who were occupying the Jewish land. But does that mean that He agreed with slavery and with occupation?

I do believe that Jesus conformed himself to the customs and traditions of His time. But the way He treated women was amazing. Look at the Samaritan (!) woman (!) at the well in John 4. Now this was something extraordinary! The Samaritan woman said to him, You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink? (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) John 4:9. Here you can see that Jesus didn’t mind to break with this Middle East tradition. And look at the personal affirmation He gave her: The woman said, I know that Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us. Then Jesus declared, I who speak to you am he. John 4:25, 26. Jesus was telling this Samaritan woman that He was the Messiah!

I know that it can be dangerous to state that some biblical instructions are ‘only cultural’, but I do believe that this is the case here. I don’t think that God asks the women in our time to have long hair, have their heads covered and be silent in church. In some parts of the world it is OK for women to show their breasts (Africa) in other parts it is a scandal to show a naked ankle. These are cultural issues. Jesus didn’t come to change EVERYTHING, but the way He acted and the way He treated people (women, but also other categories of people who were ‘marginalized’ by the male dominated society) was revolutionary.

I think that it is a waste of talent and capacities to ask from our well-educated and faithful sisters to behave like first Century women from the Middle East. What about the Salvation Army? I think it is great that they give men and women equal opportunities. I would like to know your opinion about this. And what about Corrie ten Boom – just as Dutch and stubborn as I am, and by the way, from the same city in the Netherlands – what a WOMAN! What a TESTIMONY! What an example of faith, grace and perseverance. I think we need more sisters like her everywhere! Let them speak up for Christ, in society, in the family – and yes – also in the church.

Final remark / question… What do you think about this Bible text: There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28 ) I am looking forward to hearing from you! By the way, my wife Lydia humbly agrees with me but she didn’t tell me to write this!

2 comments:

Brad Huston said...

I think that it is a waste of talent and capacities to ask from our well-educated and faithful sisters to behave like first Century women from the Middle East.

Ouch. Paul, let's remember those "less educated" first century women served in a church that was far more vibrant than us today - at least us in the West. The question you have to answer is whether or not that Paul's words were temporal and fixed to the times, I lean towards a firm "no" on this....

Our emotions and outward sucessess cannot substitute for the Word of God and I don't see you dealing with the specific text, only asserting worldly examples as evidence. As for Gal. 3:28, you would need to then argue that Paul as an apostle had no more authority than every other believer, whether it be male or female. In other words, if you are going to argue that Gal. 3:28 levels the playing field for women, then it would level the playing field for all and that there would be no authority structure. Yes, we are all the same in Christ, and each of us are called to different functions within the Body. That said, Paul was clear as to whom would be called in terms of elders and deacons and it wasn't women. I appreciate the thoughts as always, brother.

Brad

Paul said...

Thank you, Brad.
Stating the fact that most women in our part of the world are well-educated - just like their male counterparts - is not a disqualification of the sisters in the 1st century church. Jesus was surrounded by faithful women. They were still with Him when most men were gone (at the cross - with the exception of John) and they were the first to go to the (empty!) grave. The faith of the first Christians was purer and more radical than our faith (generally speaking) - I don't question that for a minute. But the customs and traditions have changed and the position of women in society has changed! That is the point I wanted to make. Jesus didn't put an end to slavery, He didn't drive out the Romans - that was not His mission (you didn't deal with this point yet...) But, as I stated in my comment, His behaviour towards women was radically different. It was the beginning of a change in attitude towards women. But, as a man, Jesus lived in a male dominated society. He couldn't team up with women as He did with the 12 disciples, because that would put this women in a dangerous position (spending the night with Him, travelling with Him... it was just unthinkable!) Jesus lived like a jewish man in a male dominated society - the same thing is true for Paul. But they did start a 'gentle revolution'. Just read Paul's letter to Philemon. "While the early Christian church did not directly attack the institution of slavery, it reordered the relationship between master and slave. Both were equal before God, and both were accountable for their behavior Eph. 6:5-9." (Spirit Filled Life Bible Commentary). I think the same thing happened with the position of women. I am afraid that if you leave out the cultural aspects, you will have a hard time attacking slavery - just based on Bible quotations. "He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." 2 Cor. 3:6 I think that the Spirit of Christ sets people free. We belong to another Kingdom (but yes, we still pay our taxes here).

I did write about servant leadership in earlier postings and I also wrote about that in my second comment on your blog entry. This is not about 'being most important' or about 'winning a discussion'. We both try to understand God's will and I highly appreciate your thoughts. Yes, we all - men and women - should be humble and nobody should try to lead in church to become more important or just for the sake of having authority over others. "Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 8:14) We all agree with that! But Paul also writes to Timothy, "Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task." 1 Tim 3:1 If one of my sisters in Christ has this desire, I don't want to stand in her way, because I do feel that the times have changed and that it is acceptable in our culture to have women in charge (I've worked under and with some excellent female managers). Regarding your point about the level playing field and the authority structure - the hierarchy has been turned upside down by Jesus. The highest must be a servant. That is why Mother Teresa was one of the greatest Christian leaders ever! She was leading by example, just like Jesus did. That is the way I see this. Maybe there is a reason for my different approach to this issue. I come from a "free Evangelical background" with no official leaders or ordained preachers. Now I attend a Baptist church, which is more structured. But I am still the same person :)
Thank you again, Brad. Blessings!