29.10.05

Wandering Baptist meets Sculptor in Hidden Garden


Today I went to a beautiful garden behind St John the Baptist's Church in the place where I live... Yes this is a Roman Catholic Church, but St John was a Baptist just like me, so I feel very relaxed about my visits to this beautiful, tranquil place :-)

I guess this quiet garden is Hoofddorp's best kept secret and maybe I shouldn't write about this at all... But if you know where to find this hidden place, you can see some magnificent statues. This pietas is just one of them. You can also admire a fantastic series of sculptures - the 14 stations of the cross - Jesus' traditional passage along the Via Dolorosa.

These statues are made by sculptor Karel Gomes. And guess what? Today I met this sculptor in this hidden garden, but I didn't recognise him! No, I didn't mistake him for the gardener... I only thought he was the pastor. When I asked him if he was the pastor of this Roman Catholic Church, he just laughed and said: "No, I'm not".

Later I saw this picture (left) on the internet and now I know who this friendly grey bearded man was! I would have loved to talk with him about his statues. Maybe next time!

Note for my Dutch blog readers: please read this and this!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This question is if I understood your post, if I didn't, I excuse myself:

Why would everyone have a different reaction if you mention a baptist church instead of a Catholic church?

God Bless!!

Paul said...

Hi there!
Of course I was only kidding... I love all followers of Jesus! And I love all sincere seekers of Truth. I have added a smile :-) to make sure that nobody gets the wrong impression again!
Blessings!