7.1.05

Please help the survivors in Southeast Asia!

Help slachtoffers aardbeving Azië

Last night a nationwide telethon raised € 112.144.000 for the survivors of the tsunami disaster in Southeast Asia. I think this is a very good result! The Dutch are not known for their generosity, but contrary to popular belief, there are many big hearted people living in the Netherlands.

Of course we do have some experience with floodings ourselves. In February 1953, when the tide was extremely high, many people drowned in the South of our country due to a gigantic flood disaster. This is why we can relate to people that have to deal with the threats of the sea (although most of the time we all enjoy the blessings...)

Approx. 60% of our country lies below sea level and our windmills and dikes are not built to attract tourists. I live in a polder myself - close to Schiphol Airport - in a municipality called Haarlemmermeer (which literally means: Haarlem Lake. The name Schiphol originaly means: Ship Hell - which tells you someting as well.)


Haarlemmermeer

The disaster in Southeast Asia is an enormous tragedy and a serious reminder to all of us: we must never underestimate the power of nature! I feel terrible about what has happened to the people in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Somalia, the Maldives and all the smaller islands that were devastated by the monster waves. It makes me wonder why God allows these things to happen. I don't believe this tsunami is 'an act of God' - neither do I believe that this is 'Nature's wrath'. It is just a terrible disaster. I really don't understand why there is so much suffering in this world. I can't find any meaning in this.

I do know that the Bible mentions wars, diseases and earthquakes as signs of the times:
Later, Jesus sat on the slopes of the Mount of Olives across the valley from the Temple. Peter, James, John, and Andrew came to him privately and asked him, "When will all this take place? And will there be any sign ahead of time to show us when all this will be fulfilled?" Jesus replied, "Don't let anyone mislead you, because many will come in my name, claiming to be the Messiah. They will lead many astray. And wars will break out near and far, but don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately. Nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be earthquakes in many parts of the world, and famines. But all this will be only the beginning of the horrors to come." (Mark 13:3-8)

Especially Jesus' last words about horrors to come are not very encouraging. Let's keep in mind that He also said to his folowers: don't panic! I can only pray that God will be present in the midst of all the pain and suffering. I can only hope that there will be followers of Christ - and other people of good will - that are willing to give practical and spiritual help to the survivors - especially the ones that are most affected and lost their loved ones, houses, jobs and possessions. Let's all ask ourselves what WE can do to help. Some suggestions:

tearfund
worldvision
redcross

This is a Psalm I've read today:

PSALM 46

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we won’t be afraid, though the earth changes,
Though the mountains are shaken into the heart of the seas;
Though the waters of it roar and are troubled,
Though the mountains tremble with their swelling.
Selah.
There is a river, the streams of which make the city of God glad,
The holy place of the tents of the Most High.
God is in her midst. She shall not be moved.
God will help her at dawn.
The nations raged. The kingdoms were moved.
He lifted his voice, and the earth melted.
Yahweh of Armies is with us.
The God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah.
Come, see Yahweh’s works,
What desolations he has made in the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth.
He breaks the bow, and shatters the spear.
He burns the chariots in the fire.
“Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations.
I will be exalted in the earth.”
Yahweh of Armies is with us.
The God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah.


God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and his ways are higher than our ways: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says Yahweh. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8,9) I want to trust God - even if I don't understand Him at all.

still the storm

certainly
I do feel
doubt

the tides rush
as my heart beats
restless
like the waves

is it you, lord?
still the storm
speak to me

We are troubled on every side yet not distressed;
we are perplexed, but not in despair… (2 Corinthians 4:8)


He awoke, and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” The wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (Mark 4:39)

No comments: