5.6.05

The dark side of the Force?


Yesterday I went to the movies to see Star Wars Episode III (Revenge of the Sith) with 'the boys' -and one girl- from our extended family. To be honest: I am NOT a devoted Star Wars fan. I just like to do some nice things together with my friends and family and personally I am not so fond of grown men fighting each other with fluorescent TL-tubes (Philips® ™). It is all a bit childish, don't you think? Sorry - I didn't mean to offend you.

However, I do love the visual effects and the story telling. And I can't help myself, but I see many connections between the Star Wars epic story and the true story of the Bible. I am sure that there will be many sites on the www fully dedicated to this aspect, and I am not planning to spend too much time thinking this through. It is just a fantasy story, right? (The movie, I mean).

Three things I do want to mention. First of all there was this quotation from Scriptures in the movie: 'He saved others but he couldn't save himself.' Of course this is based on the Bible verse Luke 23:35 - And the people stood by, watching; but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!" Keeping in mind that Anakin is presented to us as the Chosen One, this can't be mere coincidence.

Talking about Anankin Skywalker, he also says in this movie: 'Those who are not with us are against us.' Of course this can be seen as a shot at President Bush - for he said something like this when he wanted to form his own coalition to defeat the evil empires of this world. However, a really interesting thing is that these words are first spoken by Jesus! "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." (Matthew 12:30). This phrase has quite a different meaning when Darth Vader is the one who's using it, because in that case it is an open invitation to join the dark side. But if Jesus is saying this, it is an invitation to join the Light Force!

Obi-Wan Kenobi's reply to this statement is also very interesting. He comments: "The one who speaks in absolutes is already gone." Well put. But isn't Obi-Wan Kenobi speaking in absolutes here as well? If so, this one is self defeating...

You can find tons of websites discussing the Force. I won't say too much about this. But this movie (or Mr. George Lucas) assumes that there is such a thing as 'The dark side of the Force.' I know you can't disagree with fiction, but let me put this right before you draw the wrong conclusion:

THERE IS NO DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE
(i.e. not if you are referring to God!)

This is the message we have heard from him (Jesus) and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)

Yes, I do believe in the existence of good and evil forces in the real universe, but they are completely separated from each other. God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. Satan, the enemy, is not the dark side of the force - he is a separate being that is abusing his power to rebel and destroy. You don't have to travel to a far away galaxy to see that this is true. Satan is full of darkness and in him there is no light at all!

Yes, I do think there is a spiritual battle going on in the heavenly spheres. And yes, I do believe that the darkness has no other option but to disappear as soon as the Light of the world rises in all his mighty splendour! The battle against Satan is already won by Jesus on the cross, but God is not completely finished with his enemy yet... I have joined the Winner! Who's side are you on?

My fellow blogger and brother in Christ from Singapore Joshua recently posted a very short summary of the Good News. Let me quote:

God is good, the devil is bad and we win!

I couldn’t agree more!

Go to this posting if you want to read more about the moral universe of Star Wars. Here you can find an excellent review of this movie from a Christian perspective (PDF).

No comments: