8.4.06

Everything I had hoped for - three times!

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I had asked for;
But everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered; I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

A prayer attributed to an unknown confederate soldier

Update Sunday April 9: Pure coincidence?
A week ago Orlando Bottenbley quoted this prayer - in Dutch - during a sermon last Sunday in our church. Later this week I played the Piano Tour cd by Rick Wakeman (Yes) and I visited his site to find out more about this great musician. The same prayer turned up on my screen... Today I read James Emery White's wonderful book Wrestling with God - and guess what? Yep, the same words from the unknown confederate soldier on page 76. Maybe Someone wants to tell me something? :-) (Left to right: Orlando Bottenbley, Rick Wakeman and James Emery White)
a

No comments: